Hyped Supplement Tests Reveal Questionable Methods and Motivations. ConsumerLab ? Dr. Oz? A must read. Whatever happened to honesty?
If you haven’t heard the term “health coach” yet, it’s just a matter of time before you do. You might be thinking, “what in the world is a health coach, and why would I need one?”
I’m glad you asked. When’s the last time you made a goal for your health and stuck with it? Chances are you’re like millions of other people who have good intentions but can’t quite seem to commit. You’re busy with other more pressing things like an overloaded work schedule, managing a household, taking care of your kids – bringing them here, there and everywhere – and if there’s any time left over you might kick back and watch a little television to help you unwind before bed. Then you get up the next day and do it all over again. Sound familiar?
Our lives have been reduced to a state of constant crisis management, and it’s wreaking havoc on our health. Little nagging aches and pains, if left unattended, can and will turn into chronic, long-term problems. Stress has a way of eroding the foundation of our health like an ocean battering the coastline – you can’t really see it, but you know it’s happening. It’s insidious, residing at a low level hum that seems innocuous but in reality is a tsunami in the making.
How can a health coach help stop a perfect storm from brewing? By guiding and supporting you to make better choices. It’s a holistic approach to wellness that looks at all the different areas that make up your life: relationships, finances, career, education, food, physical activity, spirituality and home environment to name a few. Sounds like a tall order, but it’s not.
When you hire a health coach, you’re investing in yourself. What you’ll get is:
- More energy that’s not artificially infused
- A dietary plan that fits your lifestyle
- Sustainable weight loss
- Control over cravings
- More time for yourself
- Peace of mind
- A good night’s sleep
Most health coaches offer 3, 6, 9 or 12 month programs specifically tailored for you and your life. This isn’t some flash in the pan diet. It’s lifestyle management. The cost, while not overly expensive, is out of pocket. But it will be well worth it when you compare it to the new initiatives being implemented under Obamacare where poor health will not be rewarded. And the good news is, it’s meant to last so you won’t be going back to the well over and over again like you do with a monthly prescription drug order.
What would you be willing to give up to have a life that felt manageable rather than out of control: Your daily latte, lottery tickets, spending money on take out or afternoon trips to the vending machine?
And let’s take it step further. What happens if you don’t hire a health coach? Like everything else in this world, you’re going to wear out and eventually break down. It’s going to cost you a lot more than money to fix your problem if you let it get that far. You’ll be spending way too much time at the doctors who will refer you to a variety of specialists where you’ll also spend a lot of time. Information about your condition(s) will be confusing and often conflicting from one specialist to another. Mentally and physically you’ll be exhausted. And if that’s not enough, eventually pain and possibly suffering will become the norm.
How important is it to you to improve your health, reduce stress, increase your happiness, and take better care of yourself and your family? Only you can answer that. Think of hiring a health coach the same way you would purchase insurance for your car or your home. Only it’s a lot more enjoyable. Life is a long time. Make the most of it.
If you’d like to learn more, contact us. We’ve worked with hundreds of people just like you over the phone and face to face. Our goal is to make your goals a reality rather than something that might have been. Be well : )
Many people today don’t ever try to improve their health and wellbeing because they are intimidated by yoga and health in general. As an international yoga and wellness instructor there are three major misconceptions that prevent people from ever starting this incredible and easy endeavor. Let me point these three out.
1. People say: “If I can’t put my foot behind my head it’s not for me”. I am here to say first and for most that yoga is not about this and never has been. Yoga is about relaxing the mind, body and breath in a very simple and easy way. If it is stressful and too difficult then you are not doing it properly. The daily and lifelong goal is balance, harmony, health, and joyful practice.
2. Guy’s usually say: ” I don’t do yoga my wife or girlfriend does yoga”. The general male sector of the population is under this misconception because again they think you have to be flexible or have a certain body shape or image to be successful. This is totally incorrect. By taking the time and courage to try something new, success and progress is guaranteed every day that you participate. Men need health and fitness benefits just as much as women. If you start your journey into yoga without preconceived judgment, your health and wellbeing will speak to you in every way possible and you will learn to love yourself and the new better, stronger and more flexible YOU.
3. People say: “I’m too old to start, or my body is to broken down and sore to begin this kind of thing” Again this is completely untrue. I have a saying when I speak about yoga and health. “It doesn’t matter how old you are whether you are eight or eighty years old. The day you start everything gets better.” I have seen this with my very own eyes. I get 50, 60, 70 and 80 year old individuals into my classes, workshops or retreats and within a very short time you can’t even recognize the person who started a few months before. I myself didn’t start yoga until I was almost fifty years old and my body and mind where completely broken and worn out. I had given up on life and all possibility of ever getting better. Then, I was so fortunate and lucky to find an answer. It doesn’t matter when you find the answer. Only that you listen and act. Just give it a go and let’s start life again anew. You’re not getting older you’re getting better and next time when someone asks you how old you are. Say to them, if you asked me how young I am, I might answer you. Then they will ask, OK, how young are YOU? Then you can answer: “Why I’m ageless my dear.” Being ageless is about health, wellness, positivity and the ability to move on and grow in beauty over time with a smile on your face and a song in your heart.
Sheldon Grant Leon (Joyous Journey- Designing Excellence in Holistic Wellness )